This is a recipe for Rita and her mom.
- Organic green lentils ( 16oz/450gr). We use brown lentils in Spain but the ones I have tried in the US are too hard.
- 1 Chorizo. This is the one I buy in a supermarket next to my place, it is cheaper than the one here on Amazon.
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt (sorry, I have never measured how much)
- A dash of olive oil
- You probably will not have this, so skip it: A piece of bone leftover from a Spanish ham, with some ham attached. We buy a ham for Xmas then we cut the leftover bone in pieces and freeze them. In Spain you find this in the supermarkets.
- A baguette to dip and clean the plate (optional but highly recommended).
- On a pressure cooker, put the lentils, the onion minced small, the chorizo cut in chunks, the garlic gloves pealed and all the other ingredients.
- Cover with water. Sorry I have never measured the water. It depends on how thick you like the stew, you will have to experiment or do some Googling?
- Close the lead. Put on the fire on medium heat.
- Once the steam starts coming out, lower the heat and cook for 30 minutes.
If you don’t have a pressure cooker, it doesn’t matter, it will just take longer. You cook the lentils until they are soft, add water if you need to.
After the lentils are cooked:
In a small pan, add some olive oil, fry a garlic until deep brown, throw the garlic, add a tablespoon of flour and cook until slightly brown. Take the pan out of the fire, add a tablespoon of smoked paprika and pour over the lentils. Cook around 5 minutes, it will thicken the sauce.
I don’t usually do this because it means another pan to wash but my mom and grandma always did.
Not the best pictures, they are from different days and places, hope you get an idea.
Unrelated Things I Liked
- Pianist-composer from Palestina Faraj Suleiman. Love, Once Upon a City.
- How to Name Your Black Son in a Racist Country by Tyrone Fleurizard.
- BirdNet: An app that identifies bird by sound and location that works really really well and has hooked my daughter into bird watching.
- Scarface. It is streaming on Netflix and somehow I had not watched it before.
- Listening to this song from Placebo, again. Trip down memory lane.
- Coding is not fun, via Scripting news newsletter. This was an interesting read. I never thought much about how is coding presented these days. Something fun that can make you rich? It is not a lightweight activity, even if you can learn it in an enjoyable manner. I enjoy it, I have a good salary and work for a great company, but it is not a silicon-valey-fancy-make-me-rich salary and I don’t take my job lightly.
- Even PINKER than PINKEST pink.