On Wednesday, I made this chart of a day in Slack.
I got a few interesting observations, even if my collection of data was quite inconsistent:
- Personal interactions happened in the beginning, middle and end of my day. This matches a day at the office with the morning coffee, lunch and after work
- The core of my work happened on company public channels.
- Private conversations about work also happened beginning, middle and end of my day
- There is a chunk of messages without interaction, for reporting. This is part of an imperfect process that we are working on improving.
- I was fully present during a meeting
- I was not so good during another meeting checking and writing on Slack. I will be more present next time.
- I worked late
It was a fun experiment. I am looking forward to repeat it and collect other data.